Overview of Indian Garment Industry

Topics: India, Textile, Clothing Pages: 2 (704 words) Published: November 1, 2010
Overview of the Indian Garment Industry

By: M. K. Panthaki
(Clothing Manufacturers' Association of India)

Overview of the Indian Garment Industry
By: M. K. Panthaki
The Garment Industry of India is an Rs -one trillion industry. Almost 33 % of its knitwear production and about 20% of its woven-garment production, both by volume, enters export markets. Overall about 25 % of the volume of its garment production goes into export markets, leaving 75 % for domestic consumption. The Industry covers over one lakh units and employs about 6 million workers, both directly and indirectly in almost equal proportion. The indirect portion helps to sustain the direct production sector in the shape of items associated with the garment industry production including sewing/embroidery thread, buttons, buckles, zippers, metal plates, cardboard sheets, plastic butterflies and packaging material. Organized sector of the garment industry is roughly 20% of the total industry, concentrating chiefly on exports. These are usually limited Companies while the rest are proprietary or partnership Companies. Geographically, men's garments are largely produced in western and southern India while production of ladies garments predominates in North India. Eastern section of India specializes in children garments where in fact, these took their birth. Fibre-wise, 80% of the production is of cotton garments, 15% of synthetic/mixed garments and the rest of silk and wool garments. The industry manufactures over a 100 different types of garments for men, women and children. These includes overcoats/raincoats, suits, ensembles, jackets, dresses, skirts, trousers, shirts, blouses, innergarments, T-shirts, jerseys/pullovers, babies garments as well as accessories like shawls/scarves, handkerchiefs, gloves and parts of garments. Fabric constitutes 65 to 70% of the cost of production with labour making up a further 15% and the rest go for overheads and manufacturer's profit. Retail trade in India...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Essay about Indian Apparel Industry- an Overview
  • Indian Paint Industry Overview Essay
  • Essay about Overview of the Garment and Textile Industry in Bangladesh
  • Industrial Profile of the Indian Garment Industry Essay
  • Overview of Garments Industry in Bangladesh Essay
  • Indian Fmcg Industry Overview Essay
  • Indian Footwear Industry Overview Essay
  • Indian Telecom Industry Overview Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free
True Educations Begins at Home | myHummy Snoozy - L'aide à l'endormissement avec bruits blancs pour les bébés | FonePaw Android Data Recovery Crack