Module 1 Study Guide
Directions: Complete the Pretest! Then, complete this study guide as you are completing your lessons and assignments. Remember, this study guide does not count for a grade. It is to help you understand the module and prepare for your Discussion Based Assessment.
Lesson 1.01 Set the Stage
1. Name three challenges that emperors faced when the borders of their empires expanded:
Match the important events of the Roman Empire:
2. ____ 1000 BCE a. Roman empire controls Italian Peninsula 3. ____ 509 BCE b. Punic Wars
4. ____ 275 BCE c. Julius Caesar conquers Western Europe 5. ____ 264 BCE-146 BCE d. Rome is founded
6. ____ 58-51 BCE e. Rome sets up Republic 7. ____ 44 BCE f. Roman Empire reaches height of its power 8. ____ 27 BCE g. Augustus takes control of Rome 9. ____ 200 CE h. Julius Caesar assassinated.
10. Describe two reasons for why the Roman Empire split into eastern and western parts.
Match the city with its importance to the Byzantine Empire
11. ____ Antioch a. government center of Italian territory 12. ____ Alexandria b. capital of Sicily 13. ____ Ravenna c. religious center 14. ____ Syracuse d. government center or Eastern territory
List the places that the following empires controlled.
15. The Persian empire controlled...
16. The Roman Empire controlled...
17. The Byzantine Empire controlled...
18. The Ottoman Empire controlled...
Lesson 1.02 Monotheistic Religions
Fill in this chart using terms from the word bank
| |Judaism |Christianity |Islam | |Prophets | | | | |Messiah | | | | |Holy Book | | | | |House of Worship | | | | |Religious Leaders | | | | |Holy Sites | | | | |Sects | | | | |Basic Beliefs | | | |
1.03: The Expansion of Islam
Directions: while reading the lesson, fill in the blanks with key terms.
This lesson explores the __________________ or spread, of the __________________ faith from its beginnings in the seventh century to today. Although the largest numbers of Muslims live in ___________, ____________, and __________________ followers of the Islamic faith make up sizable minority groups in Europe and in North America. Muhammad had been preaching the ____________ given him by the angel Gabriel in ____________. His teachings emphasized the belief in and ____________ to a single god. Islam means: ____________ to the will of God. A ____________ is someone one who submits to the will of God. From the time of ____________, Arab merchants carried their ____________ beliefs with them and shared them with the people with whom they traded. Through ____________ and...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document